Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What are words for?

Words words words. People say them, write them (hell, I'm blogging for God's sake!). I love words. I like words. I hear them, I say them, I write them. When it comes to love however, they are just words.

I heard this quote from the movie, 'Last Kiss' and I just loved it:

"Stop talking about love. Every asshole in the world says he loves somebody. It means nothing. It still doesn't mean anything. What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the people you say you love, that's what matters. It's the only thing that counts."

When it comes to love--talk is cheap. Words are cheap. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they can be powerful. But cheap.

Part of the reason I started blogging was because I was because I kept a journal for years. (Since I was about 11). Around 6 or 7 years ago my journal entries became fewer and fewer until I really stopped writing anything. Writing and journals are, for me, a way to get something out of my system. It is the reason most of my entries are around this time at night. I have something in my mind and it irks me until I vent it out.



So I write. Something, anything. I don't really care if people read it. It's really just another way to vent. It's cathartic.

When it comes to the way I interact and communicate with people, especially the ones I care for, words are important but in the end they are just letters strung together to make words to say something. Anything. I used to get all these words, words on paper, poems, letters...and yet, none of those people were truly ever there, present, in the moment. And none of them are in communication with me today. Flowery prose can be flattering but in the end it is bullshit.

It's action that has more meaning...what you do, not what you say or even write. It's how you back it up and what you DO.

No comments: