Sunday, June 18, 2006

Practically Impractical: Luxe Handbags

I like high end handbags. I also like cheapie handbags. I pretty much like any handbag that looks nice and is functional. So why in my craziness did I purchase one purse that was over $1000? Call it crazy (I almost do) but the truth is designer or 'luxe' handbags, while ridiculously overpriced are, to the buyer 'worth it'. I'm not going to lie and say it's because they are made better than other handbags. The luxe lines like Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Dior, Prada, Marc Jacobs, Gucci...will all claim they are well made, hand stitched, and only made in France, Italy, the US etc. and they may be, but I've had a $500 Kate Spade handbag strap break on me--twice and my sister had Marc Jacobs zipper pull fall off. No matter what people say, designer handbags are purchased because of the name first, design 2nd. Practicality probably doesn't and won't make the list. So why buy them? I have to admit, after starting out making nothing and getting to a point in my life where I feel like I like nicer end things, I treated myself to one of the most expensive things I've ever purchased in my life: a black leather quilted Chanel tote purse. I still feel a little guilty about it. It's such an extravagant purchase. If you are going to buy one you have to get over the price or it will just bother you. But don't believe the hype. Sometimes I have $2 in my Louis Vuitton purse! hahahaha. Sometimes (okay, more than sometimes) it's ok to be frivolous.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hey P - congrats on your new purse investment! I totally think people should be able to do whatever they want to do with their money, seriously...we all work so much and so hard, why not indulge when we want? I remember buying my saarinen womb chair w/ottoman sometime last year and gasping at the price tag - but also knowing that it would make me (and Raymond) very happy...some people just can't appreciate what other people are into, you know? Like some people choose to buy high end electronic stuff and others spend on botox. It's all relative at the end of the day! The key is to just respect your family and friends for the choices that they choose to make.

Enjoy your new puchase, you DESERVE it!!! xoxo - j

Beyond the Beige 'Burbs said...

Hey J--thanks--didn't know if anyone would actually read these rants! What I forgot to say was what you said--I hate when people totally make judgement calls on stuff I buy. The worst is the 'I would NEVERRRRR buy a purse for that much $! The truth is like you said 'it's all relative'. I still feel guilty for spending. Thank God for ebay! hahhaha. Thanks J! : )